Releases in this archive:
June 20, 2015
New SET GRAIN MAQL DDL - Set the Grain of a Fact Table to Avoid Duplicated Records
Use the new SET GRAIN MAQL DDL to set the grain for a fact table so you can update existing data. With SET GRAIN, you no longer need to use connection points for incremental uploads. From a data modeling perspective, you are setting a new compound primary key for the table. You can use SET GRAIN only when you have attributes that always form a unique combination of values in the fact table.
- Simplifies incremental loading of data. This is especially useful when working with large fact tables.
- You no longer have to worry about surrogate keys, because the system checks for existing data rows.
- May improve overall platform performance.
June 4, 2015
Improvements to Analytical Designer
Analytical Designer is released with a variety of improvements including:
To improve bar and column charts, the Stack by area has been introduced to create stacked bar and columns charts. Drag any attribute into the Stack by drop zone to display your line and bar charts stacked by that attribute.
Replace metrics, attributes and dates by dragging a new value over the current drop zone you wish to replace.
Improved Management of Scheduled Emails
Editors and administrators can now manage all scheduled emails under Manage > Emailing Dashboards, even those scheduled directly via a dashboard. Previously, editors and administrators could only manage scheduled emails that were created via Manage > Emailing Dashboards.
Upcoming Deprecation of Java 6 for CloudConnect and ADS JDBC Driver
To increase security standards and use features of Java 7, GoodData will no longer support Java 6 starting July 2nd, 2015. This change will apply to CloudConnect Designer and ADS JDBC Driver.
The last versions of CloudConnect Designer already contain a bundled version of Java 7. However, some older CloudConnect Designer versions may use Java 6.
Use one of these instructions to check if you need to upgrade CloudConnect Designer:
- Check the content of your CloudConnect directory. If the CloudConnect directory does not contain the jre directory, download and install the latest version of CloudConnect Designer from https://developer.gooddata.com/tools. Otherwise, no action is needed.
- In CloudConnect Designer, click CloudConnect > About CloudConnect > Installation Details > Configuration. Check the following line:
java.runtime.version=1.7.0_51-b13If the version specified is different from 1.7.0 (such as 1.6.x), download and install the latest version of CloudConnect Designer from https://developer.gooddata.com/tools.
ADS JDBC Driver
Starting with version 2.5.0, ADS JDBC Driver will only support Java 7 or above. If you do not have Java 7 or above, you can download and install it from https://www.java.com/.
ADS JDBC Driver of a version below 2.5.0 will still operate up to six months after you have downloaded the driver.
You can download the latest version of ADS JDBC Driver from https://developer.gooddata.com/tools.
May 7, 2015
Share Dashboards with Multiple Users with New User Groups
Use our new user groups to manage access to dashboards from multiple users quickly and easily. Dashboards that are shared with a group are shared with all members of that group.
For example, imagine you have a dashboard named First Quarter Sales that you want to share with everyone on the sales team. First, create a group named Sales Team and add everyone in sales to that group. You can then share that dashboard with your new Sales Team group the same way you share it with individual users, via Sharing & Permissions. If you later create a dashboard called Second Quarter Sales, you can share that dashboard with the Sales Team group with just a few clicks.
Technical users can manage groups through the GoodData APIs.
New EU Datacenter
GoodData is opening a new datacenter located geographically in the EU. Projects on the EU datacenter share no data or metadata with the US datacenter and can therefore contain completely independent overlapping entities such as organizations, projects, users, etc. Projects can be migrated between datacenters upon request. Contact your GoodData account manager.
April 18, 2015
Create a Visualization with the New Analytical Designer
The Analytical Designer is a new environment for data discovery and visualization. Drag-and-drop data onto interactive drop zones and the Analytical Designer creates visualizations (charts, graphs, and tables). With only a few clicks you can create a visualization, add or remove data from it, slice it, filter it, and change the way it is visualized. The visualization changes dynamically with each click, enabling you to play with your data and discover business insights.
As you create a visualization, the Analytical Designer recommends best practices and next steps. These recommendations leverage the collective intelligence of GoodData’s cloud platform, helping you discover new ways to visualize your data and get value from it.
Check out this video of the Analytical Designer in action.
The Analytical designer is enabled for Direct customers with projects that contain less than 5 GB of data and do not contain custom date dimensions (such as fiscal date dimensions).
Add Data to Projects as Needed with the New Data Explorer
With the new Data Explorer, business analysts can add new data to their project on an ad hoc basis, shortening time to insights.
NOTE: Your project must use the Agile Data Warehousing Service (ADS) to use the Data Explorer.
Sometimes, business analysts need data that does not yet exist in the GoodData project to create a report. With the new Data Explorer, they can now add data to projects on an ad hoc basis. This helps ensure that the data needed to create reports is always available.
- Shortens time to insights.
- Reduces business analyst dependence on IT resources.
- Enables the technical users managing the ADS to prepare all needed data from a data source at one time, instead of adding data incrementally as the needs of the business analyst change.
- Keeps the GoodData portal free of unnecessary fields.
Here’s how it works:
- A technical user identifies fields that a business user may want to add to the GoodData portal, and adds the data for these fields as columns to the ADS output stage tables.
These columns become prepopulated fields that the business analyst can add using the Data Explorer.
- Business analysts opens the Data Explorer on the GoodData portal and select one or more fields to adds to the project.
- The selected fields are added to the LDM and data loading for all project data is triggered. After data loading completes, the fields become available for use in reports.
- Data Explorer works only with the ADS.
- In this first version, the Data Explorer works only with data already prepared in the ADS.
- Only full loading of data from ADS to data mart is supported.
- All tables and views in the ADS instance set as the output stage for a project are visible in the Data Explorer.
- Only standard date dimensions are supported. Fiscal date dimensions are not supported.
April 7, 2015
Enforcement of Restrictions on the Number of Projects You Can Create via API
We recently announced that we are limiting the number of projects you can create using the GoodData APIs to 100 projects per customer token in a floating 24-hour time period. This restriction applies to production, development, and testing projects, and helps ensure that all customers continue to experience good performance of the GoodData platform.
From April 7th, 2015 we are enforcing this restriction. If you need to exceed the 100 project limit, contact GoodData Customer Support at least 48 hours beforehand. We will temporarily remove this restriction and allocate the necessary system resources.
Release Notes Archive
To access release notes from older releases, please visit GoodData Platform Release Notes Archive.