Thanks for checking in to see what's new for Release 98! Each week, we publish a new release of the GoodData platform detailing new features, updates, and platform enhancements. Check back soon, as we'll continue to post updates to this article over the weeks ahead.
New updates since release 98:
What's New: Release 98
Announcement - CloudConnect whitelisting IP address deprecation
On March 15 2014, the IP address for AWS CloudConnect whitelisting (
220.127.116.11) will be deprecated. The replacement address is the following:
If you are using this feature, please switch to using this address immediately. On March 15, 2014, you must enlist the new address in your infrastructure to continue using the feature.For more information on CloudConnect whitelisting, see http://developer.gooddata.com/article/cloudconnect-connecting-to-the-local-database-whitelisting.
Create and modify data models via API
Beginning in Release 98, you may create or modify the logical data models of your projects using the new data modeling API. Simply submit your model definition or changes as a JSON payload to the appropriate API endpoint. This mechanism enables programmers to rapidly deploy data models to new projects and updates to existing ones without having to rely on lower-level MAQL DDL scripts or on the LDM Modeler component of CloudConnect Designer. The new API is very useful for rolling out new data models or data model updates to many projects at the same time.
- For more information, see http://developer.gooddata.com/article/data-modeling-api
- For more information on the API documentation, see https://developer.gooddata.com/api#data-model.
Automatic re-run of failed scheduled ETL executions in Data Loading Administration
Occasionally, scheduled executions of ETL processes in the platform may fail. These failures may be due to configuration issues, network interruptions, scheduled maintenance, or similar issues.
Beginning in Release 98, the platform can be configured to automatically re-run any failed ETL processes, based on a user-defined delay.
- By default, a process that fails is not restarted automatically. To enable auto-restart, you must add a retry delay.
- When retry is enabled, a failed process is automatically re-run after the delay. If it fails again, the delay is observed before it is re-run again.
- If a process fails 30 times in a row, it is automatically disabled and cannot be re-run until it is manually enabled again.
- The minimum permitted delay is 15 minutes.
In the process definition area of the Data Loading Administration, you may define the retry delay.
- To change the retry delay, click Add retry delay. Enter the value in minutes that you would like for the platform to wait before retrying the ETL process.
- To remove automatic restart of failed processes, remove the retry delay.
You may wish to change the delay if your ETL processes need to occur in a specific sequence or if your data loads may push the maximum limits permitted for your organization.
- If the retry delay overlaps the next execution of the scheduled process, then the failed scheduled execution is dropped, and the latest scheduled execution is processed.
- ETL processes that are retried are inserted into a processing queue, so they may not be processed at the exact interval.
- For more information, see CloudConnect Data Loading Administration User Manual.
New Formats Supported for CSV Uploader
The Simple CSV Uploader now supports the following delimiters between data fields in CSV files that are uploaded to GoodData's YourApps platform trial. You can also use this free 30 day trial to learn about core features for business users.
Supported formats now include the following:
field1 field2 field3
What's New: Release 98.1
Project Administrators may delete projects through the Portal
Beginning in Release 98.1, Project Administrators may delete projects through the Project Administration page in the GoodData Portal.
NOTE: Deleting a project is permanent. Deleted projects cannot be retrieved.
Previously, only the creator of a project could delete it, which presented issues if individuals left a customer’s organization.
Tip: It is a recommended practice that each project should have at least two users who have administrator access to it.
For more information, see GoodData Reference Guide.
Projects may also be deleted using the GoodData APIs. See GoodData APIs documentation.
What's New: Release 98.2
Landscape orientation for PDF report table export
Beginning in Release 98.2, you may now download r PDF exports of report tables from your dashboards in landscape page orientation. So, when your table contains a large number of columns, you can switch the orientation to Landscape to better fit the wider range of the columns on the page.
- Output format is still in US Letter format.
- Landscape orientation may be applied to report tables only. This feature may be applied to charts in a future release.
When exporting a report from a dashboard into PDF format, you can now choose to select Portrait or Landscape orientation from the drop-down menu:
Similar options are available in the Report Editor page:
Through the gray pages, you may configure the page orientation for all reports for the selected user of the selected project:
- Page Orientation:
If your report in Landscape orientation is still too wide to display, you may be able to optimize the column widths of the downloaded report to fit the data in the available space. See below.
Enable optimized column widths for downloaded table reports
Now you may optimize the column widths of table reports in PDF output so that the widths of column labels and data are auto-configured to include as much of the column data as possible. Optimized column widths may be applied in both Portrait and Landscape page orientation.
NOTE: For table reports that contain a large number of wide columns of data, it may not be possible to auto-fit the columns widths in Landscape orientation to prevent any data from getting truncated in the report. In these cases, you should consider redesigning the report to include fewer columns or splitting the report into two separate reports for output.
By default, this column width optimization is enabled for exports through the GoodData Portal. Through the gray pages, you can change the optimization setting for your report:
- Set optimal column width:
NOTE: The API option is provided for customers who have enabled download via API and do not want to disrupt the output. In a future release, the optimize column width feature may be auto-enabled for API downloads.
For more information, see https://developer.gooddata.com/blog/pdf-landscape-for-the-export-api.
What's New: Release 98.3
Load multiple datasets in a single task
The ETL API has been extended to enable the loading of multiple datasets through a single API call. Now, CSV files can be uploaded through WebDAV to the platform along with a single JSON manifest file to describe fields in each dataset.
If errors are encountered during the data loading process, only the datasets where the errors occurred are affected.
For more information, see https://developer.gooddata.com/article/multiload-of-csv-data.
NOTE: This article is no longer available. See Data Loading Modes in CloudConnect for more details.
ETL Notifications Can be Delivered via REST API
Beginning in Release 98.3, you can deliver ETL notifications to other systems in your infrastructure using the GoodData REST APIs. For example, suppose your IT team has a monitoring application that can consume REST API calls. You can design the call to the other system by specifying the Channel and Subscription structures through the GoodData API calls. When the GoodData notification is triggered, the API call that you have defined is automatically submitted to the consuming system where, in this case, it can be monitored by your enterprise IT team.
- For an overview, see also the following blog article: https://developer.gooddata.com/blog/rest-based-notifications.
- For technical details, see the REST Notifications section in https://developer.gooddata.com/article/setting-up-the-notifications-using-api.
Improved browser memory usage
Prior to Release 98.3, dashboards with multiple filters containing a large number of attribute values would cause performance issues. This issue has been resolved.
Other Recent Updates
In the weeks following release 97, several new features were added to the platform. All updates have been appended to the Release 97 notes:
For more information, see Release 97: Saturday December 7, 2013
On the Horizon
GoodData is committed to rolling out new, innovative features. Here's what we've been hard at work on:
- In the next few releases, new login and registration pages will be available. For more information, see Upcoming Features.
Thanks for reading up on the latest updates to the GoodData platform. Check back soon for new features to be unveiled in the weeks ahead!