This feature has been released into the platform.
Beginning on 4/24/14, project Administrators can configure editing permissions on individual dashboards, reports, and metrics to prevent changes in production or otherwise protected environments.
- Standard GD behavior: all Editors and Admins can modify all objects (default for all new objects)
- New option: Only Admins can modify a dashboard or reports/metrics in the dashboard
- A Lock icon is displayed next to these objects.
To receive notifications on this feature’s availability, click the subscribe link at the top of the page.
How to restrict Editor's permissions on a dashboard
- Edit a dashboard:
- From the Actions menu, select Settings....
- Set permissions for the entire dashboard.
- Now, all Editors are prevented from modifying the dashboard and all reports and metrics in the dashboard.
- In the future, if you remove restrictions at the dashboard level, you must remove manually restrictions from the reports and metrics in reports/metrics list.
- Permission restrictions cannot be applied to individual dashboard tabs.
Editing permissions for reports and metrics
- Report/Metric detail and list allows you to manage edit permissions
- You cannot change permissions for reports and metrics if they are used in dashboards with edit restrictions. You must remove the dashboard edit restrictions first.
Locking objects for Powered By GoodData environments
Edit restrictions are stored in project templates. If you create project templates from a project containing edit restrictions, the restrictions persist when you create a new project from the template.
- Object restrictions are retained in cloned projects and objects that have been exported and imported individually.
What to expect in future
- Any feedback on edit permissions? Contact us.
- Drafts and ad-hoc reporting: Soon, all new objects will be created as drafts visible to their owners only. Objects will need to be shared explicitly with other users. This change will help to declutter the UI and to develop personalized reporting. Opt-in to test before official release.
- Later this year, you will be able to set Edit/View permissions/restrictions for a group of users.